Forum Thread: Ethnic Organic?

Hey Ms. Jack, 

I love going to ethnic food stores and romanticize that they have far less processed items than your average American supermarket.   What are your tips for shopping at places that don't advertise organic products, but may have them?  Also, what are your favorite places for specialty goods and spices?

My latest LA excursion: The assorted Japanese markets on the Westside (the Mitsuwa Market on Venice and Centinela in Culver City and the Sawtelle corridor south of Wilshire in West LA, including very yummy veggie filled soups at Asahi Ramen.)

2 Responses

Hi Kira, 

I'm finding more and more that ethnic markets are starting to advertise their organic products, so your search should be easier these days. Make sure to check out 99 Ranch (Chinese grocery chain), Super King (Middle Eastern grocery store and so much more!). Often prices are cheaper at these places, and they have produce that you often can't find at even Whole Foods. For example, at Super King, you can get fresh almonds when they're in season:

You will have to watch the quality of the meats and seafood you get very carefully - I've seen fish graying on the counters of Super King, but their deli is outstanding. At 99 Ranch, they have whole chickens (with the head still on - I believe they will chop it off if you ask them) that actually taste like chicken, unlike the bland, tasteless stuff from Foster Farms. 

Kira great question. Toast Kitten great post! Great work Organic Wonderhowtoers

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active