Oh Alice Waters and her magical Edible Schoolyard! Back in 1994, Alice Waters and King Middle School principal Neil Smith, worked with the community to refurbish their 1930's cafeteria kitchen into a wonderland of food education. The kitchen along with a one acre garden was the begining of what turned into the Edible Schoolyard project.
The program was launched to promote healthy and organic eating and combat childhood obesity. The Edible Schoolyard is integrated in to the curriculum at MLK Middle School, providing a hands-on environment in which to apply skills learned in traditional math, science, and humanities classes. At the same time, students also learn the importance of fresh foods and the value of nourishment. Every year depending on the grade level, each student at MLK Middle School receives 12 to 30 sessions in the Edible Schoolyard kitchen and garden classrooms.
Over the last 16 years Alice and her team have expanded the project and launched affiliate programs in cities across the country like New Orleans, Brooklyn and even here in Los Angeles at the Larchmont Charter School.
To learn more about the Edible School Yard visit there website here.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades